Working closely with the Staff and reporting to the Executive Committee of the Sigal Music Museum, the Director of Development and Marketing is tasked with developing and implementing strategies to attract new donors, retain current donors and increase giving levels among current supporters, with special focus on donors making gifts of $1,000-$10,000+. S/he will work with museum team and Board to identify, cultivate and solicit gifts while also growing the Museum’s membership program with a complementary goal of engaging members and donors through a variety of programs.
Interested candidates should send their resumé and a writing sample of a proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Works with the Board and its Committees to create annual and long-term goals and associated strategies for museum fundraising and revenue-generating efforts. Over the initial two-year period, the Director of Development and Marketing will be asked to establish short and long-term fundraising goals and to identify revenue streams that complement the Museum’s mission and vision.
- Develops a menu of giving opportunities and oversees development of high impact marketing materials to support development activities. Conceives and implements strategies to identify and cultivate individual and corporate donors at $1,000 and higher for annual support and major gifts.
- Builds and manages a portfolio of current individual supporters and prospective donors. Identifies opportunities for contact and tracks “moves management” among individuals in portfolio. Employs face-to-face visits, strategic event planning and other communications media. Establishes metrics that help guide activities and measure effectiveness.
- With the Staff and the Board and its Committees researches, identifies, cultivates and solicits major gifts of $10,000 and higher from individuals and corporations. Writes tailored proposals as needed for specific solicitations.
- Participates as appropriate in Board and Committee meetings and provides support to Board and committee members for individual giving and other fundraising activities, including special events. Collaborates with Board and its Committees to implement volunteer-driven fundraising efforts.
- Identifies opportunities for improved membership strategy and creates and executes the plan accordingly. Conceives and implements strategies for general membership growth ($50-$999) and increased revenue through annual appeals. Develops greater synergy between general membership and leadership giving.
- With Museum Staff, identifies key demographic or special interest constituent segments to engage in the Museum’s work.
- Identifies grant opportunities from private foundations and manages the grant-writing and submission process.
- Presents monthly Fundraising report to Board of Directors and prepares annual report of development activities at the end of each fiscal year.
- Responsible for coordinating and overseeing Community Outreach and grant writing activities and will serve as the management staff member responsible for reporting on these matters to the Executive Committee.
- Develops marketing plan to highlight the Museum’s activities to increase interest and support. Marketing plan will include traditional and social media platforms.
- Creates content for constituent/member/donor communications including materials such as membership brochure, renewal letters, acknowledgements, newsletters, appeals, and invitations.
- Compiles donor recognition and stewardship plan.
- Conceives, implements and attends donor cultivation and appreciation events tied to Museum’s mission, exhibitions and programs.
- Works with staff, the Board and its Committees and volunteers to plan towards a new history of the collection with signature fundraising event, secure sponsorships and drive tickets sales.
- Attends Museum public programs to help cultivate relationships.
- Makes presentations to community groups as part of cultivation and membership strategies.
- Uses Past Perfect or other similar database to track notes and all interactions with prospects, members and donors.
- Works with Staff to ensure the museum utilizes best practices related to properly capturing donor information (biographical, geographical and other information as appropriate).
- Generates donor financial and other queries and reports when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- 5-7 years of experience working in a goal-driven, fundraising environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, authentic relationships and work collaboratively with colleagues, Board, volunteers and donors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, solve problems creatively and contribute to a positive work environment.
- Experience in conceiving of and creating a variety of donor and member-oriented communications materials, including direct mail, email campaigns, newsletters, invitations and digital content.
- Experience in planning and implementing donor-centric (or stewardship?) events and fundraising events.
- Ability to juggle multiple objectives/projects simultaneously, with strong organizational skills, attention to detail and impeccable follow-up.
- Knowledge of development software.
- Knowledge in areas of financial controls, gift acceptance, accounting and information systems/database management.
- Absolute respect for the confidentiality of donor information and an adherence to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- Understanding of and appreciation for Sigal Music Museum’s mission: “To celebrate, entertain, and inform audiences of all ages about the rich musical history and traditions through historic period and culturally significant instruments”.
- Ability to relate well to individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Solid knowledge of MS Office products, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary.