The Art of Representing Greenville
An invitation to all local artists – and to one, a $5,000 check
Each year, VisitGreenvilleSC (formerly the Greenville Convention & Visitors Bureau) creates the Official Greenville, SC Visitor’s Guide, a printed piece used to promote both the City and County of Greenville. Now called “yeah, that”, it puts Greenville’s best foot forward, inviting leisure and business travelers to come and discover our delightful little corner of the world. This year, VGSC wants to do something very exciting and feature an original work from a local artist on the cover. With the assistance of the Metropolitan Arts Council, we’re reaching out to artists who are full-time residents of Greenville County and inviting you to submit one entry – your very best – that depicts the sights and sounds of Greenville. The artist whose work is chosen to appear on the cover of 125,000 copies will receive a $5,000 commission for the work.
- Because the Visitor’s Guide advocates visitation to Greenville, SC, artwork should include content that depicts some aspect(s) of Greenville in a positive light. Content should reflect one of the following 3 areas:
- 1. Representation of Greenville (City)
- 2. Representation of Greenville County
- 3. Iconic Moments in/of the Destination
- Artwork may be created in any medium, but please remember that the primary use will be as cover art for a printed Visitor’s Guide, which resembles a magazine.
- Each artist may submit one and ONLY one entry. It may be a piece that you have already created or a new original work, but you only get ONE entry.
- Eligible artwork must be created by a full-time resident of Greenville County. No exceptions.
- The artist who creates the selected work will receive a payment of $5,000. No other entries will be awarded with cash or any other form of compensation.
- The selected artwork will become the wholly-owned property of VisitGreenvilleSC, and can be used for any and all purposes across any and all mediums deemed suitable by VGSC. Artists will sign a “Release of Artwork” and all rights will transfer to VGSC without exception. The artist will be permitted to use images of the original artwork for self-promotion purposes ONLY.
- All other submissions will remain the exclusive property of the artists who created them unless otherwise contracted by VGSC.
- Original artwork should be created with a vertical magazine format in mind, since the work will appear on the cover of a magazine.
- Magazine cover actual size will be 8.5” wide and 11” tall
- Tone: Keep in mind that the cover should feel bright, energetic, and engaging
- All work MUST be submitted ELECTRONICALLY via email to the address below. (Thus, you may need to photograph your artwork.) No original artwork should be sent or otherwise delivered to VGSC during the submission process.
- Submissions should be rendered at 300dpi at full size, then reduced (if necessary) to be delivered via email. If a submission is received by VGSC and an additional version is required for evaluation, that artist will be contacted directly.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Along with the selected artwork, the Guide’s name/masthead (“yeah, that”) will appear on the cover. (see the 2017 Guide cover for reference here: https://issuu.com/visitgreenvillesc/docs/yeahthat) This element does NOT need to be incorporated into the original artwork unless so desired by the artist, but please keep its eventual presence in mind as you develop or consider your submissions as it will be superimposed over your artwork.
- All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 PM ET on FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2017. Entries received after this time will not be accepted or considered.
- A completed VGSC Artwork Release Form MUST accompany your submission. Only the selected winner’s release form will be kept; all others will be discarded.
- A decision will be made no later than FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2017. All decisions are final and not subject to review or appeal.
- Only the winning artist will be contacted directly. An announcement regarding the winning selection/artist will be released via email and social media once the Guide is available in January 2018.
- FINAL ORIGINAL ARTWORK WILL BE DUE IMMEDIATELY. Artist will be responsible for successful delivery of final artwork to VGSC within 48 hours of notification.
- CONFIDENTIALITY: The artwork itself and the subject matter that is selected for the cover of the 2018 Guide must remain confidential until the release of the Guide in January 2018. NO photographs of the winning artwork shall appear on social media or any other public entity nor shall any artist publicly declare themselves the winner until Guide release in January 2018.
All questions regarding this opportunity should be directed to the following:
- Stephanie Thorn, Leisure Travel Marketing Project Manager at VisitGreenvilleSC
*Please put “2018 Cover Art” in the subject line, so no emails are missed. No phone calls.
All submissions (artwork and release form) should be emailed to:
Artwork Release Form
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS:
5 PM ET on OCTOBER 13, 2017